What is Bariatric Surgery?
Who is Diagnosed with Obesity?
Obesity occurs when body fat increases excessively. A body mass index (BMI) over 25 is considered overweight, and over 30 is obesity. BMI is a measure that takes into account a person’s weight and height to gauge total body fat in adults. As a result of obesity, heart disease, certain cancers, blood sugar disease, blood pressure problems, and cholesterol problems may occur. That's why the goal of obesity treatment is to reach and maintain a healthy weight!
Obesity Treatment in Turkey
You may consider weight-loss surgery if you have tried other methods such as diet, exercise, and behavioural changes to lose weight that haven't worked and if:
- -You have extreme obesity (BMI of 40 or higher)
- -Your BMI is 35 to 39.9, and you also have a serious weight-related health problem, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
What Methods Are Used for The Treatment of Obesity in Turkey?
There are several methods used in Turkey for weight loss, including:
- -Gastric Sleeve Gastrectomy
- -Gastric Bypass
- -Gastric Band
The average cost of bariatric surgery in Turkey is between 2000 USD to 7.500 USD. The price changes regarding the type of surgery, doctor’s experience, clinic technology and the location of the clinic.
Advantages of Having Bariatric Surgery in Turkey
Turkey is in the list of top 5 countries in the world and has world-class and state-of-the-art hospitals. Quality treatment by very experienced surgeons who mostly perform more than 150 surgeries per year is in just Turkey. Also, Medproper Health Tourism offers you affordable prices.
You have a chance to discover Istanbul.
How Many Kg can be Lost with The Gastric Sleeve?
In general, the weight loss rate is about 70% of excess weight. Most of the weight loss happens in the first year. In the next year, there will be some more weight loss. After two years, the weight usually remains constant.
Surgeries Applied for Obesity Treatment
1. The Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
It is the most common type of surgery performed by removing approximately 80% of the stomach. The remaining stomach is the size and shape of a banana. By removing the portion of the stomach that produces most of the “hunger hormone”, the surgery affects the metabolism. It decreases hunger and increases fullness.
- -Technically simple and shorter surgery time.
- -Less need for pain relief after the procedure.
- -Less risk of infection.
- -Faster recovery and return to daily activities.
- -Thanks to the laparoscopic method, very small incisions in the skin and fewer hospital stays.
- -Non-reversible procedure.
- -Less impact on metabolism compared to bypass procedures.
2. Gastric Bypass
It is one of the most common operations and is very effective in treating obesity. Compared to the other procedures, gastric bypass provides a greater overall weight loss, and its effect starts to appear immediately after the procedure.
- -Long-lasting weight loss.
- -Greater overall weight loss.
- -It is a major surgery that has its risks such as:
- -Technically more complex when compared to sleeve gastrectomy or gastric band.
- -It may cause health problems through poor absorption of nutrients by the body.
- -May cause small bowel complications.
- -May cause “dumping syndrome”, a feeling of sickness after eating.
3. Gastric Band
The Adjustable Gastric Band is a silicone device placed around the top part of the stomach to limit the amount of food a person can eat.
- -The lowest rate of complications is early after surgery.
- -Patients can go home on the day of surgery.
- -The band can be removed if needed.
- -Slower and less weight loss compared to other surgical procedures.
- -Requires an implant to remain in the body.
- -May require re-operation.
- -May cause some swallowing problems.
Is There An Age Limit For Bariatric Surgeries?
Bariatric surgeries can be performed after 14 to 15 years of age. Today, the upper limit of age is around 70 years of age, if there is no additional disease such as heart or lung disease.
If you are interested in treatment in Turkey, our team will connect with you and answer all of your questions. Besides, we will be happy to help you if you require online doctor consultations.
Planning and Assistant Services
You need to stay around 10 days in Istanbul. You will stay 4 nights in the hospital and have your control examination after 4-6 days from discharge from the hospital. Please note that you will be welcomed at the airport by the clinic's staff that speak your native language, and they will accompany you during the entire process.
Why Should You Choose Medproper Health Tourism?
- -Medproper has been operating since 2015 in the field of Medical Tourism. Advisory Board Members of Medproper are the the most reputable physicians and health professionals of Turkey.
- -Medproper Health Tourism, a network is equipped with the best private and university hospitals and doctors in Turkey.
- -In addition to the wide range of treatment possibilities, it provides services with the experience and quality of Turkish physicians in the Medproper network.
Read our blog!
Watch our video!
Fill out the Information Form!
Obesity occurs when the body fat increases excessively and may cause heart disease, certain cancers, blood sugar disease, blood pressure problems, and cholesterol problems.